Corfu, on the Ionian Sea (just south of the Adriatic Sea), is perhaps the quintessential Greek isle — white sand beaches lapped by azure waters, gentle green hillsides draped in subtropical flora, gnarled olive trees hundreds of years old, still bearing their piquant fruit.
“The island is bound with the history of Greece from the beginning of Greek mythology. Its Greek name, Kerkyra or Korkyra, is related to two powerful water symbols: Poseidon, god of the sea, and Asopos, an important Greek mainland river. According to myth, Poseidon fell in love with the beautiful nymph Korkyra, daughter of Asopus and river nymph Metope, and abducted her. Poseidon brought Korkyra to the hitherto unnamed island and, in marital bliss, offered her name to the place: Korkyra, which gradually evolved to Kerkyra (Doric). Together, they had a child they called Phaiax, after whom the inhabitants of the island were named: Phaiakes. This term was transliterated via Latin to Phaeacians. Corfu’s nickname is The island of the Phaeacians.” — Wikipedia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corfu]
In modern times, Corfu reflects four centuries of Venetian rule in its architecture (along with its classical Greek designs), along with Turkish, British and French influences as well. Old Town Corfu (Town) was added to the World Heritage List in 2007.
Neo Frourio (the New Fortress-Citadel) was constructed under the Venetians (1576 – 1645) when the old fortress could no longer provide safety. Designed to protect the harbor on the lover level, it did so against the Turkish invasion in 1716. The New Fortress remains connected to the Old Fortress at the harbor entrance by tunnels.
The Palace of St. Michael & St. George was built in neoclassical style (1814 – 1824) as a residence for the British Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands. It now houses prominent Asian art collections, bequeathed to the museum by former Greek diplomats and ambassadors.