The County Meath House that we visited from Dublin, built in 1712, is one of the very few surviving classical Irish country houses from the early eighteenth century. The architectural design and detailing of this house are immediately apparent, as the architectural form of the house is enhanced by many original features and materials, such as the slate roof, molded window surrounds and string courses. The house has important historical connections with Gustavus Hamilton, a noted Protestant politician in Irish affairs during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. Hamilton commanded a regiment of Williamite soldiers at the Battle of the Boyne (1690) and later rose to become a Major General in the English Army and fought against Louis XIV of France.
The gardens have been restored, enhanced and greatly expanded over the past two decades with many themed gardens added (e.g., the Japanese Garden, the Birthday Garden, the Chinese Garden). When the present owners bought the estate of 500 acres, it had been a stud farm, largely in fields, with some of the original features, such as a canal, filled in. The design and execution of the present gardens is extraordinary. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour of the estate and are happy to share these photographs.
Legal Notices: All photographs copyright © 2019 by Richard C. Edwards. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Permission to link to this blog post is granted for educational and non-commercial purposes only.